Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Scripture memory #11

I just started doing Angela Thomas' Bible study, When Wallflowers Dance, along with my sisters.  I went through her book Do You Think I'm Beautiful? a few years ago and it was the most personal, soul searching, heart cry of a study I've ever done.  This one is sure to cut to the heart again, in a fresh new way.  I'm a bit weary right now.  I have a three year old who is wanting control.  I realize part of it is the age.  And part of it is her need to feel secure.  There have been a lot of changes this last year for our family, and she may be feeling a bit unsure of her surroundings.  We need to try to help her feel secure in our love, in our Father's love, so that whatever changes are happening around her are not so hard to handle.  But it's a process.  And right now, it's hard.  She is easily upset and some days my patience wares thin.  I love her so much and just want to cuddle and play with her.  But when she acts out, I also have to discipline her.  And I am tired.

So I'm excited about our school year coming to an end and our summer learning to begin.  We have sort of a relaxed approach to homeschooling, not real rigorous as far as academics.  We do use assorted curriculum, but all of us enjoy learning through exploring and doing more than by reading and quizzing.  We're finished with all of our classes outside the home for the year, and this week we're finishing our technical school year at home.  I have Brooklyn making herself some flash cards for helping to remember some things throughout the summer and  Zeke is finishing up his math book.  Then we'll be reading, gardening (I really hope we do this), swimming, playing, creating art, and making memories this summer.

I'm thankful for my sisters wanting to do this study.  After I went through Do You Think I'm Beautiful? a few years ago and then heard Angela had another book out, I wanted to do this one, but never got around to ordering it.  It will be nice to go through it alone with God in the mornings, but with my sisters on the journey, sharing as we go.  One of the things I love most about God is that we can come to Him just as we are.  Not just when we're content.  Not just when we're happy and full of love.  But when we're weary.  When we are blowing it with our kids.  When we mess up in other areas.  When we're lonely.  When we're worried or angry or discontent.  Today in the study, we looked at 1 Peter 2:2,3 (which will be my Scripture memory verse for the next two weeks).

1 Peter 2:2,3  Like newborn babies, crave spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

In my weariness, I want to get back to really craving God's Word.  Newborn babies crave milk from their mothers.  The milk is their life source, providing the nutrients they need to survive and grow.  When babies are breast fed, they often reject formula because they don't like the taste.  They won't accept a counterfeit.  Our first baby was bottle fed.  I had trouble with nursing so we switched to formula after the first week.  She eagerly gulped it down, but her little tummy couldn't handle what we were giving her at first, so after some time dealing with her projectile spitting up (sorry for the graphic details) and trying to soothe her through tummy troubles, we switched to a soy formula.  Once we got it right, she started to really thrive.  God's Word is full of nutrients that we need for living and thriving in this life.  I want to crave it.  I have before, where I just can't get enough.  Lately I'm tired.  And I want to rest in His love, going to His Word for the nourishment and fulfillment that I need, accepting no substitutes.  

No comments: